Think of your site as your online shopfront – would you have a messy display in your bricks and mortar shop window? Would you make it hard for people to find things? I hope the answer to both of these is a resounding “no”. And the same applies to your website.
So what are the five things every website must have for both usability and conversions?
- Good design: Every website needs a clean, elegant and professional look and feel. Whether you are a work-at-home mum selling handmade baby clothes, or a big multi-faceted business, this is the number one thing to aim for with your website. The design needs to show that you mean business while delivering user-friendly navigation and eye-catching images or graphics.
- Content: These days, it is not enough to simply have a static website – with the same content as is on your printed material – and hope for the best. You need to keep the information fresh and valuable to the visitor. Google likes websites that continually update their content and the latest news is that the search engine algorithm is now taking a closer look at quality content. As for the visitor you need to give them something interesting to read and a strong call to action to ensure visits turn into leads which turn into sales. The best way to keep content fresh is to include a blog on your site and there are many content management systems out there which make it easier for the layperson to update content.
- Navigation: This was touched on above in regards to design. You need to ensure that the visitor does not get lost in your site – or get directed away. This means clear, intuitive navigation and understandable titles and internal links. It pays to include navigation at the top and bottom of the screen.
- Social Media: Set up social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin – at the very least – and then make sure these profiles are well integrated with your page. Social media is a fantastic way to drive visitors to your website and here at Direct Sites Online we can ensure a cohesive approach to your social media marketing.
- Search Engine Marketing: Pay-per-click advertising such as Google Adwords is a very cost-effective way to increase traffic to your site – as long as you target your keywords correctly. The best way to included PPC advertising in your marketing toolkit is to engage an expert such as Direct Sites Online to get you started.
One thing to keep in mind, however, is that none of the above offers overnight success. But if you stick to the basics, the rewards will pay off.
If you need a website – or if your current online presence needs refreshing to meet the above needs – give Direct Sites Online a call on 02 9557 7623 or email email@example.com