And the answer is, it depends.
The benefits of good SEO differ from the benefits of a good Adwords campaign, but they each have their place in your online marketing strategy.
First, let’s look at SEO, which is all about your website being ranked high in Google (or other search engines) when people type in certain words in the search bar – words you have “optimised” your site for.
Good SEO – that places your site in the top five or so positions on Google – will bring a high level of traffic to your site, and thus more business. If you do not rank well, then you are missing out on new business opportunities.
The benefits of SEO
- Seventy percent of internet users look to the left of a website page first – and that’s where your listing will be.
- You don’t pay a cent when someone clicks on your listing.
- Good SEO means pre-qualified traffic to your site.
- SEO improves your online brand reputation, which again leads to more sales (and profit)
- SEO is lasting, while PPC only runs for the time of your campaign, which means SEO can be more cost-effective.
- If you have a well-built and designed site, search engines can easily categorize and index the pages on your site. You do not pay to be indexed.
- You can monitor your SEO campaigns through a tool such as Google Analytics and tweak if necessary.
Now, let’s look at Adwords (and other PPC tools).
AdWords results are those you see down the right side of the page (and sometimes on top) when your search result is returned. And when someone clicks on them, you pay Google a pre-detemined cost (depending on variables such as how competitive the keywords are.
Benefits of AdWords
- AdWords can offer an immediate return on investment, while SEO can take longer.
- There is no minimum spend, and once your budget is allocated, your ad simply won’t appear. And you can tell Google how much you will pay for each click.
- You can target your ads specifically to people looking for your product or service.
- It is more cost-effective than such things as traditional printed material such as direct mail or press advertisements.
- You can easily edit your existing ad and the changes will appear immediately.
- You get brand exposure with each click
- You can track any campaign through your analytics software (and detailed performance reports are available on demand.
So there you have it, a brief overview of the benefits of SEO and PPC (Adwords). Both will provide you with great online exposure and both have their pros and cons.
For best results, you can choose to both optimise your website, and ran Adwords campaigns to supplement your SEO.
For advice and information on SEO and PPC campaigns, you can’t go past Direct Sites Online. Call us today on 02 9557 7623 or email email@example.com